RDP Port: Your Windows Operating system comes with a Remote desktop client. It can be used to access a complete windows environment remotely. People who use multiple computers for their work are very much benefitted by this feature. We can simply say that RDP Port(Remote desktop Port) allows you to access your computer from another computer. To Tweak RDP for security the default RDP Port should be open. The default port for RDP is 3389. The port should be open and marketing it accessible using windows firewall within the Local area Network. If you are thinking of making it accessible through the internet then you will have to take care of security. And It should be done by forwarding through the main internet router to work properly. In this blogpost today we have come up with working methods to allow RDP for remote access.
Different Ways To Open RDP To Allow Remote Windows Desktop
We are discussing here 2 different ways to open RDP for Remote Access. You can choose the suitable one for you.
1. Allow RDP Port Through Windows Firewall
- Firstly, go to Settings on your Windows PC.
- Navigate to Update & Security
- Then move to Windows Security and finally click on Firewall & network protection from the right-side panel. You can see the screenshot attached below.
- Press on the link given at bottom “Allow an app through firewall”
- Select Change settings
- Look for Remote Desktop from the list and navigate to the following:
- After navigating you have 2 options.
- Check on Private if you want to allow access to the local network only. And If you want to access it publicly you should check on the public checkbox.
- Press OK to save the changes.
2. Open The RDP Port On The Router
- Launch your browser on which you have enabled remote desktop connections. Navigate to the IP address of your router and login using user credentials.
- Locate a tab with the name “Virtual Servers” or “Port forwarding” and open it. Type port number 3389 for the internal and external ports. Choose the protocol “TCP.”
- You need to enter the IP address of the computer you enabled Remote desktop connections. Enter the IP address of the computer that you enabled Remote Desktop connections on.
How To Find Ip Address Of Your Router
- Press the “Windows” and “R” keys simultaneously
- Type “cmd” and click “OK.” Type “ipconfig” without quotes and press the “Enter” key. Find the value for “IPv4 Address” for the network adapter that connects your computer to the Internet. This is the IP address to use when opening the port on your router.
Now, You have to follow these steps if you already know your IP address.
- Locate the “WAN” or “Internet” IP on your router’s config section. Note this info for later.
- Save the changes to the router and close the browser.
- Press the “Windows” icon from the desktop on a second PC.
- Type “remote desktop connection” and select “Remote Desktop Connection.”
- Type in the Internet IP that you collected from your router and click “Connect.” Enter the login credentials for the remote computer and Press “OK.”
We hope that this guide will surely help you in opening RDP for remote access to the desktop. You can try both methods. Both methods work very well. If you have any issues still with this topic then please discuss it with us comments section. We will surely help you there. Cheers!